Thursday, August 19, 2004

101 Fascinating little facts about me...

I threw this together because another blogger (www.brettlamb.com/blamblog) suggested a challenge. Or perhaps not so much a challenge as he did it and I wanted to do it too. It was fun... you all should try... copycats...!

1. I come from a family of five.
2. Both my parents are dead. My mother since 1982, my father since 1995.
3. My brother and sister live on Vancouver Island – my sister in Victoria and my brother in Duncan. They don’t speak, but I speak to both of them. My sister is 18 months older, my brother is 7 months younger.
4. I was born in Montreal, but we moved when I was 4. I’ve been back three or four times since, but I don’t really know it at all.
5. We moved, on average every 2 years when I was growing up.
6. The order was this: Montreal, Toronto, Nassau, London, Toronto, London, Seattle (Bainbridge Island) Calgary.
7. I went to 17 different schools before University.
8. I spent two years at the University of Calgary before leaving to act in the movies.
9. As an adult, I’ve lived (in this order) Calgary, Los Angeles, Calgary, London, Menton (France)London, (also Uppingham in Leicestershire – Rutland if you prefer) Victoria, Toronto.
10. I am 5’ 3” tall and weigh about 116 pounds.
11. I have shockingly bad eyesight (distance) but can read without glasses.
12. I had a pony when I was 12 – his name was Paintbox.
13. I have won prizes for show jumping and I won a real horse race on a real racehorse. It was terrifying and exhilarating.
14. I pretended I was a dog when I was four. My name was Alfred and I’m pretty sure I was an Irish Setter.
15. I pretended I was a pony with friends at school in England. We’d set up jumping competitions in the school grounds and have horse shows. Then we’d go to the stables and ride real horses.
16. I have never felt I fit in anywhere.
17. I love clubhouse sandwiches and French fries and if I were to be executed, my last meal would probably be entirely fried, and would also feature soft shelled crabs. I wouldn’t order desert, unless the prison guard wanted one and was too polite to ask for himself.
18. I hate my hair.
19. I am pathologically shy, though most people wouldn’t believe me – I’m good at social situations because of all the moving I suppose, but I am horrified at the thought of going to a party where I don’t know anybody.
20. Strangely, I love auditions.
21. I have a great voice for radio, commercials and (I think) phone sex – though I have only been employed professionally to perform the first two.
22. Virtually my entire life has happened by accident; perhaps this is true for everybody, but I am constantly aware of the magic of timing and the power of having an open mind and saying: “I could probably do that. Let me try.”
23. I liked working in radio, but I didn’t love it.
24. I loved working in television, but I don’t think I’d want to do it again.
25. For a time I suffered from panic attacks – and no one knew.
26. I want to write another column and eventually, a book.
27. I miss my mother every single day.
28. I never appreciated how honest and decent my father was until a few years before he died and then not properly until a few years after that.
29. I have terrific breasts which some people think are fake, but they are completely real.
30. I am too short.
31. I have a dog – Lily, a Yorkshire Terrier – who is so adorable, she has actually stopped traffic and from time to time has been swarmed by people who shriek: “She’s just SO CUTE!” I agree with them and she holds this over me.
32. When Lily almost died I was shocked at how devastated and hopeless I felt.
33. I’m afraid when I die, no one will remember me because I forgot to have children. (Lettuce, tomatoes, chicken, dog food, shoelaces, dishwasher soap, children... whoops...)
34. I have never cheated on a boyfriend.
35. I thought I’d been in love half a dozen times, but really it was only once.
36. I’ve been engaged three and a half times. The half a time was because there was no ring.
37. I returned all the rings. But kept the stones. (Ha ha – not true…old Zsa Zsa Gabor joke…)
38. A diamond ring can loose nearly half its value when returned to the store where it was purchased. Even the next day in some cases.
39. My idea of bliss is a great book and someone to love.
40. I read my favourite books over and over – I read 'The Grapes of Wrath' every year, and all of Jane Austen every other year. ‘Persuasion’ is my favourite novel and comes close to being my favourite film of all time.
41. But my favourite film of all time is either ‘All About Eve’ or ‘Now Voyageur’. Both Bette Davis movies.
42. The greatest source of some of the smartest lines ever is ‘Broadcast News’. Fact.
43. I cannot tell jokes and should never try.
44. My favourite place to live is London, but it’s tricky as some of my memories are rose-tinted.
45. New York takes my breath away. It is absolutely thrilling.
46. I would love to live for a while in Hawaii. Preferably in Maui.
47. I cannot smoke dope – it makes me paranoid and miserable.
48. Cocaine is just stupid.
49. I still smoke. But hardly at all now. I just feel quitting would be quitting.
50. In a mass exodus some of my closest friends left Toronto in the last two years and I wonder often why I stay.
51. I have been rejected for not being Jewish.
52. I am forgetting how to do math.
53. Sometimes, at the strangest times, I will forget how to spell words. I still have to think hard before writing ‘forty’ to remember there’s no ‘u’, and to write ‘ninety’ and remember there is an ‘e’.
54. Salt and Vinegar is my favourite flavour of potato chip. Though Hedgehog flavoured comes close.
55. I have many watches, but the one I always wear is the cheapest because it has indiglo. I’m not really comfortable without indiglo now.
56. Volunteering is an enormous part of my life.
57. I love children – but not in that ‘oh – I love little children!’ way. I have friends who haven’t yet hit puberty. We hang out, write, phone etc.
58. I don’t have natural style. But every now and then I can pull a look together.
59. I am panicking right now because I am not working. Except a little.
60. I have broken most of my toes a lot of times.
61. I had my appendix out when I was 10 and my tonsils out when I was 14. I had a private room with my own nurse in a Harley Street clinic.
62. I despise all things cheese.
63. I never have anything to wear.
64. I cry at the drop of hat – or when I see someone else cry (the way yawning makes you yawn) I am too sentimental, which cheapens it, but I can’t help it.
65. Lighting is very important in life. I don’t think enough people appreciate this – not to look good, but to create a comfortable and comforting atmosphere.
66. My role model is a widowed lady in her sixties who is absolutely brilliant at bringing out the best in people – even the horrible, irritating, tedious ones you just want to smite.
67. I am often inspired to write just so I can incorporate a great word. Like 'smite'.
68. I don’t actually like most of the friends of my friends. Some though – I like some.
69. I love sex but haven’t had it for a long time.
70. I broke up with the last fellow I went out with because he spit. I get an involuntary shiver just thinking about it.
71. I follow American politics closely and am constantly amazed at the rock bottom quality of individuals who put themselves forward for election.
72. I am bored with people who don’t like Joe Clark because he was plain and Jimmy Carter because he wasn’t charismatic enough.
73. I am hooked on a few reality-based television programs, but won’t say which because of the shame.
74. Okay. Survivor – but most of all Big Brother.
75. I feel a lot of shame.
76. I have never stolen anything except change off my father’s dresser.
77. I feel guilty about everything.
78. I was baptized Protestant – which is a good thing, because the year I was born, they weren’t giving out birth certificates and a baptismal certificate is the only way I managed to get a passport. Otherwise, I pretty much think religion, and particularly those who feel righteous about their beliefs are at the centre of all that is wrong with the world.
79. I am a homebody.
80. I cook a few things really well and make the most delicious salad dressing you ever tasted. I made Boeuf En Croute once, which is the tenderest filet of beef, covered in sautéed mushrooms and onions and surrounded by pastry.
81. I love going out to restaurants. It’s still a great treat.
82. I don’t really like sweets and ice cream and such.
83. I can pick things up with my toes. Even the broken ones - though they are the ones from which I'm most likely to drop stuff.
84. I live in fear of breaking my teeth.
85. I am a good driver and only like to drive standard.
86. I work out 5 - 6 times a week so that I can continue to eat French fries once a week.
87. I like my eyes and my cheekbones.
88. I was known for having a great ass in high school and it’s still pretty good.
89. I have a higher set point body temperature than most people.
90. I can type fast but I still have to look at the keyboard.
91. I need a good small suitcase on wheels. The one I have is too big for short jaunts.
92. I like to sleep on a completely white bed.
93. Right now I am reading three books and I am on the waiting list at the library for ‘The DaVinci Code’. I am #316 of 599 people waiting and I’ve been on the list for two months. I am not holding my breath.
94. I wish I had finished university.
95. My car has a name. It is Sylvia.
96. I still wear clothes I wore in high school. They still look good.
97. I am pretty good with a hammer and screwdriver. If you show me how to do something, I’ll probably do it reasonably well.
98. You want me with you in an emergency or during a diaper change. I’m not afraid of blood or a little poo and a couple of friends have named me their power of attorney because they trust me to make the right decisions when they are non compos mentos. (A condition that has nothing whatsoever to do with mints.) They have made a wise choice.
99. I hope I marry a man with children.
100. I hope I marry a man.
101. I hope I marry.

No comments: